A list of news and blog posts and other web items we stumbled upon in the past week…
- Water: The high price of cheap (Marketplace) – a collection of articles concerning all aspects of water, highlighted by a water-use calculator.
- Governments Will Forge First Treaty Protecting Global Oceans (Environment News Service) – delegates to the United Nations have agreed to the development of a treaty which would protect marine life in areas outside of national jurisdiction
- Lavon Lake dredging project adds to North Texas water supply (The Dallas Morning News) – The North Texas Water District will begin dredging in order to increase the amount of water supply particularly during summer months when water levels drop.
- NASA climate study warns of unprecedented North American drought (The Guardian) – while the drought in California is center-stage right now, new mega-droughts are predicted in the Midwest and American Southwest if human activity continues “business-as-usual”.
- Kenya’s water insecurity problem (World Bulletin) – presents the struggle that most Kenyans face accessing water, which is an example of global water scarcity.
Contributed by Shafik Islam, Kyle Monahan, Antje Danielson, and Molly Greer